Saturday, February 15, 2014

Feb 7 - The Family!

February 7th marked my 1st month in Spain!! Yay!!! I actually didn't realize it until my host mom said something. But also that night I met my host sister. She was really sweet and really nice. Her boyfriend came to dinner too. It had been such a long week, that I accidentally slipped into some of my American customs. For example when I was introduced to her boyfriend I went to shake his hand, instead of kissing him on each cheek. AWKWARD! and then I started cutting my empanada with a fork and a knife. My mama had to tell me that I could it eat it with my hands...which I knew! *FACE PALM*
But on the plus side the food was soooooooo good. We all sat around our formal dinning table. and talked and ate for an hour or so. I had delicious champagne. It was a good night. I really love my host family. Here's a little about them.

Mi mama (Celes): She work at the University of Oviedo, the university I am attending while here. But she is not a professor. I think she works in the registrars office of the university. She is really talkative. Loves to cook. She doesn't think I eat enough. Her favorite shows are the house flipping shows, like on HGTV, but obviously dubbed in Spanish.

Mi papa (Miguel Angel): He is retired. But he works at a t.v. network from time to time, which is a really cool post retirement job. And then when he's not doing that he spends a lot of time with his horses. He's really quiet. He's also learning english. Its so funny when he eats breakfast in the morning he watches BBC and then when I come in he switches it to Spanish. "English for me, Spanish for you."

Hermano (Diego): Diego used to have his own business, but because of the bad economy in Spain he couldn't do it anymore. Then he started to learn english. Now he is going to Manchester, England to look for new work. He's quiet. But also sarcastic if you look for it. He makes a lot of jokes I don't get (He gets it from his mama. She's sassy).

Hermana (Can't remember): She doesn't live with me, because I am obviously staying in her old room. But she is really nice. She works on a cruise ship. And is away for a couple of months and then comes back for a couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment